Two military facilities housing US occupation forces in Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdistan region and Syria’s northeastern province of Hasakah have been struck by drones and a barrage of rockets.
The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an umbrella group of anti-terror fighters, in a statement published on its Telegram channel claimed responsibility for the attack on the al-Harir Air Base, situated 45 kilometers (27.9 miles) north of the Erbil International Airport in northern Iraq, early on Saturday morning.
It noted that the base was targeted by two drones and the aircraft “directly hit their targets,” linking the assault to Washington’s unconditional support for Israel’s bloody military campaign against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
The US House of Representatives on Thursday passed the 14-billion-dollar aid bill, which includes billions for Israel’s military, including $4bn for procurement of Israel’s Iron Dome and David’s Sling defense systems to counter Palestinian retaliatory rocket attacks.
Various US officials have also supported Israel’s war on Gaza and rejected any ceasefire plan at the UN.
Washington last month vetoed a draft UN Security Council resolution that would have called for humanitarian pauses in the conflict between Israel and Hamas and allow humanitarian aid access to the Gaza Strip.
The brutal war that the Tel Aviv regime has been waging against the besieged Palestinian enclave since October 7 has so far claimed the lives of nearly 9,061 people, including 3,700 children and more than 2,300 women.
The regime launched the war after Gaza’s resistance groups conducted Operation al-Aqsa Storm, their biggest operation against the occupying entity in years.
Also late on Friday night, a volley of rockets rained down on a military base, where occupying American forces and allied Takfiri militants are stationed, in northeastern Syria.
Lebanon’s Arabic-language al-Mayadeen television news network, citing local sources, reported that explosions were heard inside the US base at the Abu Hajar Airport near the village of Kharab al-Jir, after a number of rockets fell in the area.
There were no immediate reports about possible casualties and the extent of damage caused.
‘Battle against US occupation forces will go on until their withdrawal’
Meanwhile, the head of the Iraqi resistance group Harakat Hezbollah Nujaba says the ongoing battle against US occupation forces will continue until they are fully withdrawn from the Iraqi soil.
Akram al-Kaabi, founder and secretary-general of the movement, stated on Friday night that “This is a life and death battle against a cunning enemy. Either they or we should stay here.”
He added, “The Iraqi resistance is ready to mobilize its ground forces, who have overcome Daesh terrorists and other Takfiri militants in Iraq and neighboring Syria, and join the battle against Zionists.”
Kaabi then addressed the Secretary General of the Lebanese Hezbollah resistance movement Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, saying, “Resistance forces can collectively annihilate the Zionist regime, achieve the final victory and liberate the al-Aqsa Mosque.”
“We assure our brethren in Palestine and Lebanon that their comrades in Iraq, who engaged in the battle against the Zionist regime from the second day of the Operation [al-Aqsa Storm], will stand by their side,” he said.
The Harakat Hezbollah Nujaba chief had earlier highlighted in a post published on X, formerly known as Twitter, that the Islamic Resistance in Iraq is determined to liberate the country, and that there is no respite and retreat from the decision.
“As long as Palestinian children are suffering under heavy Israeli bombardment, we will neither allow the US nor Israeli authorities to sleep peacefully,” Kaabi said.