North Korea has begun its reconnaissance satellite operations, the state news agency has said, after Pyongyang successfully launched its first military satellite last month.
The new satellite operations office at the Pyongyang General Control Center of the National Aerospace Technology Administration (NATA), started to discharge its mission on Saturday and will report acquired information to the reconnaissance bureau at the army and other major units, KCNA said on Sunday.
Pyongyang warned the United States against any attack on its reconnaissance satellites after a US space official hinted that Washington was capable of interrupting Pyongyang’s satellite operations.
Pyongyang, which managed to launch its first military reconnaissance satellite on Nov. 21, warned Washington that an attack on its satellite would be a declaration of war.
On November 24, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un visited NATA and observed new photos taken by the country’s recently launched reconnaissance satellite.
Meanwhile, media reports said the new satellite is capable of transmitting photos of the White House, the Pentagon, US military bases, and “target regions” in South Korea to NATA.
North Korea succeeded in launching its satellite in its third attempt, after receiving assistance from Russia.
Pyongyang believes US presence and military exercise in the region pose an existential threat to North Korea, insisting that it will continue responding to the US-led joint military drills by advancing its own programs as well as developing and testing all sorts of weaponry, including deterrent nuclear missiles capable of striking mainland USA.
The United States and the United Nations Security Council have imposed tough sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.