Iraq has announced the launch of massive operations to drive ISIL Takfiri terrorists out of Salahuddin and Anbar provinces.
On Tuesday, Iraqi state TV announced that army troops, backed by Shia and Sunni volunteer forces, started the operations against Takfiri militants in Anbar province, which has been the scene of clashes since early 2014.
According to reports, Iraqi forces have already cut off aid routes to the militants during the operations, which are mainly meant to liberate Ramadi, the provincial capital of Anbar.
Meanwhile, the Iraqi Defense Ministry in a statement announced that 15 terrorists have been killed in the Anbar’s al-Harariat area.
According to the statement, the Iraqi army also dismantled at least 30 bombs and destroyed 10 booby-trapped houses.
Reports say over 4,000 Shia volunteers are participating in the operation to liberate Salahuddin Province.
Iraqi Prime Minister Heidar al-Abadi on Tuesday pledged swift advances against ISIL terrorists. “The security forces have surrounded the Takfiri ISIL members,” he said.
A day earlier, Abadi said the country’s security forces have made great advances in their efforts to take Ramadi back from the ISIL terrorists, adding that the Arab country will recapture the central city within days.
On the same day, Commander of the Anbar Operations Command, Major General Qasim al-Mohammadi, said that the Iraqi army had captured at least 200 foreign terrorists in different areas across the restive western province.
ISIL militants seized some parts of Anbar in early 2014 and captured Ramadi earlier this month.
Meanwhile, Iraqi troops and popular mobilization forces have recently pushed the Takfiri terrorists out of several cities.
The northern and western parts Iraq have been the scene of clashes since ISIL started its campaign of terror in the Arab country early June 2014.