“The assailants entered the parliament in women’s dress and through the gate special for the visitors, started the shooting spree and entered the area, causing fear and horror,” Zolfaqari said in an interview with the state-run TV on Wednesday after two terrorist attacks in the parliament and the holy shrine of late Imam Khomeini in Tehran.
“In the first minutes of the attack, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) forces entered the scene and gained control of the floor and main area of the parliament building,” he added.
“Over 30 people have been wounded so far and 2 people were confirmed as being martyred (in the two terrorist attacks),” Zolfaqari said.
He added that several plots by terrorist and Takfiri groups were foiled in the past three years by the Iranian security forces, noting that the corpses of two assailants at the holy shrine of late Imam Khomeini are now in the hands of the security forces.
Zolfaqari underlined that the security officials of Tehran province held an urgent meeting immediately after the terrorist incidents and the meeting of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) will be held within hours to study different aspects of the attacks.
Four unknown male assailants fired several rounds at the guards protecting the parliament building in Tehran, killing five and wounding 25 others in the hallway on Wednesday morning.
According to initial reports, the assailants opened their way into the parliament building while shooting at the guards, killing at least two IRGC guards and three others, and wounding 25 civilians.
Four of the victims were killed on the scene of the attack, while a fifth one succumbed to his injuries at a nearby hospital.
Ten of the wounded victims were civilians who had come from different constituencies to visit their deputies.
Also, several assailants raided the holy shrine of the late founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini, South of the capital Tehran on Wednesday morning, killing at least two and wounding ten others in a bomb attack and a shooting spree.
FNA reports said four unidentified armed assailants started a shooting spree at Imam Khomeini’s shrine this morning.
Three of the assailants shot tens of rounds at the people visiting the shrine, while the fourth one detonated herself in a suicide attack in front of a police station opposite the shrine.
Fresh dispatches by FNA from Southern Tehran said the suicide attacker was a female.
At least two, including one worker, have been killed in the bomb blast and the crossfire between the security forces and the terrorists.
The law enforcement and guards at the shrine said they have also defused another suicide vest at the scene.
ISIL’s official website, Amaq, issued a statement at 09:00 GMT claiming the responsibility.