Security officials in Afghanistan say a convoy of foreign tourists has come under attack in the country’s west.
“The convoy was ambushed by the Taliban in Chesht-e-Sharif district. The tourists were on their way to Herat from Bamiyan and Ghor provinces,” said Jilani Farhad, a spokesman for Herat’s governor.
Officials said six people have been wounded.
The tourists were being escorted by Afghan military vehicles.
The Taliban have officially not claimed responsibility for the attack so far and the nationality of the tourists was not immediately known.
Highways in Afghanistan passing through areas plagued by militancy have become exceedingly dangerous, with the Taliban and other armed groups frequently kidnapping or killing travelers.
The Thursday incident occurred even as Western embassies had already warned their citizens against all travel in Afghanistan.
The deadly assault occurred only three days after Taliban attacked a hotel housing foreign contractors in the Afghan capital of Kabul, leaving one police officer dead and three others injured.
Afghanistan is gripped by insecurity 15 years after the United States and its allies attacked the country as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror.
The war removed the Taliban from power but insecurity is still rampant despite the presence of thousands of foreign troops.
The Taliban have intensified their attacks following the appointment of their new leader Mullah Haibatullah Akhundzada.