Yemeni army fires ballistic missile against Saudi-led forces in Hudaydah province
Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from the Houthi Ansarullah movement, have fired a domestically designed and developed ballistic missile at a gathering of the Saudi-led coalition’s mercenaries in Yemen’s flashpoint province of Hudaydah.
Yemen’s Arabic-language al-Masirah television network, citing a military official, said that the unnamed short-range ballistic missile hit its designated target with great precision on Saturday afternoon, causing heavy human and material damage.
The source added that the army, which has just recently unveiled the missile, pounded the same area in the western coast with the same projectile on Friday evening.
The Yemeni army has so far hit Saudi-led targets both inside Yemen and inside Saudi Arabia with numerous ballistic missiles, inflicting damage upon the invading war machine.
On June 13, the invaders launched a major offensive to take Houthi-held Hudaydah, a densely-populated city and the war-torn country’s most vital port, which is the entry point for 70 percent of the impoverished country’s imports. The offensive, however, failed to achieve its goal, thanks to firm resistance mounted by Yemeni troops and Houthi fighters in defense of the city.
Yemeni troops target the Saudi capital Riyadh with a ballistic missile attack while the kingdom claims to have intercepted the missiles.
Saudi Arabia and some 20 of its allies, including the United Arab Emirates, Morocco and Sudan, launched a brutal war, code-named Operation Decisive Storm, against Yemen in March 2015 in an attempt to reinstall Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, Yemen’s former president and a staunch ally of Riyadh, and crush the popular Ansarullah movement.
Ansarullah, which is a significant aid to the Yemeni army in defending the country against the invading forces, has been running state affairs in the absence of an effective administration during the past three years.
The imposed war initially consisted of a bombing campaign but was later coupled with a naval blockade and the deployment of ground forces into Yemen.
The UN says nearly 5,000 families displaced in Yemen’s flashpoint province of Hudaydah.
The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured until then. The war and the accompanying blockade have also caused famine across Yemen.
The Saudi-led aggression has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools, and factories. The United Nations has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in need of food aid, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger.
A number of Western countries, the United States and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.