Middle EastUSAWorld News

Araghchi stresses efforts to draft negotiating text between Iran and US

Iran’s foreign minister has underscored efforts to prepare a draft negotiating text with the United States based on mutual respect, as indirect talks over Iran’s nuclear program and lifting of sanctions move into a more detailed phase.

Abbas Araghchi made the remarks during a phone call on Friday with Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty as the sides discussed the latest regional and international developments.

During the conversation, Araghchi referred to recent progress in indirect negotiations between Tehran and Washington. He stressed the need to draft a negotiating text based on mutual respect and shared interests.

The call came shortly after the latest round of talks in Geneva on Tuesday. Speaking to Iran’s state broadcaster IRIB after the meeting, Araghchi described the discussions as “serious” and more constructive than previous rounds.

“Finally, we were able to reach an agreement on a set of guiding principles based on which we will move forward and discuss the text of a potential deal,” he said.

He cautioned that a final agreement would not be immediate. The next stage, he noted, will involve complex technical work on the wording of a possible accord. Still, he emphasized that “good progress” had been achieved and that a clearer and more positive path had emerged.

Iran FM: ‘Good progress’ made in latest round of indirect talks with US, 'clear path' ahead

Iran FM: ‘Good progress’ made in latest round of indirect talks with US, ‘clear path’ ahead

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi says “good progress” has been made in indirect discussions with the Americans surrounding the lifting of sanctions and Iran’s nuclear activities.

The negotiations are part of a process that resumed on February 6 in Muscat, with Araghchi and US envoy Steve Witkoff heading their respective delegations.

During the Friday phone conversation, Abdelatty welcomed the continuation of the diplomatic track.

He pointed to the importance of sustained dialogue to move negotiations forward and reach a framework acceptable to all parties involved.

The renewed diplomatic push comes amid US threats against Tehran and increasing US military buildup near Iran.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to launch attacks if talks do not yield the result that Washington seeks.

Tehran has vowed to respond decisively to any military action. Following US strikes in June against peaceful nuclear facilities, Iran launched a missile operation targeting Al Udeid, the main US airbase in Qatar.

Related Articles

Back to top button