Yemen’s Ansarullah fighters and allied army units have cut off the main supply route used by invading Saudi Arabian forces between the Aden and Ta’izz provinces in the impoverished country’s southwest.
Yemen’s al-Masirah television reported the development on Friday, saying that the pathway had been being used as the main channel by the invaders to procure arms and ammunitions.
Separately, in west-central Yemen, the Yemeni forces recaptured the areas that had been seized by Saudi mercenaries in the Ma’rib Province.
Sources, meanwhile, reported that a Bahraini trooper fighting alongside the Saudi forces had been killed during border clashes between the Yemeni forces and the Saudi military in northwestern Yemen. The soldier has been identified as Issa Abdullah Badr Aid.
Also on Thursday, two Saudi unmanned aerial vehicles went down in the Nihm district of the Sana’a province, similarly located in west-central Yemen, and the Sa’ada province in the country’s extreme northwest.
Yemen has been under Saudi military strikes since late March 2015. The war was launched in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to reinstate Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who has stepped down as Yemen’s president but is now seeking to grab power by force.
The aerial campaign, carried out without any international mandate, has killed about 10,000 people, most of them civilians, according to local Yemeni sources.
Recently, Paris-based relief agency Doctors Without Borders (MSF) announced that it was evacuating its staff from six hospitals in northern Yemen, following a recent Saudi bombing of an MSF-run hospital in Yemen.
The international charity organization said it could not get assurances that its hospitals will not be bombed Saudi Arabia again.
Subsequently, the Saudi-led troops’ central command expressed “deep regret” over the MSF’s decision and said it was trying to set up “urgent meetings” with the medical aid group.
Saudi Arabia has several times targeted MSF-run hospitals. The most recent case was carried out on Monday on the Abs Hospital in Yemen’s Hajjah Province. The airstrike killed at least 19 hospital staff and patients and wounded 24 others.