Syria warns of potential false flag chemical attack by militants
Syria has warned that foreign-backed militants are likely to carry out a false flag chemical attack in Syria, similar to that of August 2013, to create a pretext to draw in foreign military intervention
In a statement released on Sunday, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said that Damascus does not possess chemical weapons as it implemented its obligations to turn in its entire chemical weapons stockpile to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
The statement further noted that certain regional and Western countries might supply chemical munitions to the militants fighting against the Damascus government in an attempt to make up an excuse for “premeditated aggression” on Syria.
Last year, Syria agreed to elimination of its stockpile of chemical weapons by mid-2014 under a deal that was initially put forward by Russia as a way to head off Washington’s possible use of force against Damascus.
The war rhetoric against Syria gained momentum on August 21, 2013, when the militants operating inside the country and the foreign-backed Syrian opposition claimed that over a thousand people had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds on the outskirts of Damascus.
Damascus has repeatedly said the deadly attack was a false flag operation carried out by the Takfiri groups in a bid to draw in foreign military intervention.
Syria has been gripped by deadly violence since 2011 with ISIL Takfiri terrorists currently controlling parts of it mostly in the east.
More than 191,000 people have been killed in over three years of fighting in the war-ravaged country, says the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), calling the figure a probable “underestimate of the real total number of people killed.”