Military Source Dismisses Claims about Al-Nusra’s Advance in Damascus
“The army is in control of the regions that had been evacuated on Monday morning after it came under two suicide attacks by the militants, and the army troops have inflicted heavy loss and damage on the terrorists,” the source said on Monday.
He added that the army forces have also regained control over al-Jobar region’s power department and the buildings of the weaving company and Mercedes firm and repelled the terrorist groups’ massive attacks.
Elaborating on the terrorists’ recent offensive against the army positions in Damascus that failed, the source said that the attacks were headed by al-Nusra Front to open their way into the parking lots, al-Abbasiyeen square and the industrial region between al-Jobar and al-Qaboun districts and reopening the supply routes for the terrorists besieged in al-Jobar through al-Qaboun-Barzeh-Tishreen districts.
He underlined that the army’s artillery and missile units, supported by the air force, could repulse the massive offensive, and killed and wounded a large number of terrorists.
Meantime, other field sources in the Eastern Ghouta of Damascus dismissed reports on the Syrian army’s withdrawal from near Douma city.
The Syrian army forces had on Sunday warded off the terrorist groups’ heavy offensives against their positions in Jobar region.
The army soldiers defused the terrorists’ attempts in Jobar region who wanted to enter al-Abbasiyeen region’s parking lots.
A field source said that the militants were first trying to open their way by suicide attacks and detonating two bomb-laden vehicles.
“After the cars exploded, heavy clashes erupted between the Syrian army and the terrorists of the al-Nusra (Fatah al-Sham) Front who sought to carry out suicide attacks but they couldn’t occupy the army’s positions in the region,” he added.
The source said that the Syrian fighter jets and missile and artillery units then heavily pounded the terrorists’ centers and drove them out of the region.