Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called for an investigation into the killing of seven civilians by US airstrikes in northwestern Syria as part of an alleged military campaign against ISIL Takfiris.
“The reported killing of at least seven civilians in strikes in which there may have been no legitimate military target nearby raises concerns that the strikes were unlawful under the laws of war and should be investigated,” the international non-governmental organization stated on Sunday.
It added, “The US government should investigate credible allegations of violations of the laws of war, such the strikes on Kafr Deryan, and publish its findings.”
Residents of the Syrian village of Kafr Deryan in Idlib Province have told the HRW that a series of missiles pounded a compound used by members of the al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front, including a weapons depot, just outside the village last week.
The locals further noted that missiles struck two homes in Kafr Deryan moments later.
According to witnesses, who cited the casualties by name, there were no al-Nusra facilities or property inside the village.
On September 22, Pentagon spokesman, Rear Admiral John Kirby, said in a statement that the US army and “partner nation forces are undertaking military action against…terrorists in Syria using a mix of fighter, bomber and Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles.”
Since earlier this week, the US and its allies have been conducting airstrikes against ISIL inside Syria without any authorization from Damascus or a UN mandate. The airstrikes are an extension of the US-led aerial campaign against ISIL positions in Iraq.
Washington has been supporting militants operating against the government in Syria since March 2011. Many ISIL terrorists have reportedly received training by the CIA in Jordan and Turkey.