Yemen’s new Prime Minister Abdulaziz bin Habtoor says Britain is guilty of war crimes over its arms sale to Saudi Arabia.
“They have sold cluster bombs to Saudi Arabia. They know the Saudis are going to drop them on Yemen […] in Sa’ada and in Sana’a and other provinces,” said Habtoor on Tuesday during an interview with Sky News.
Multiple rights groups, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, have on various occasions reported the use of illegal cluster bombs by the kingdom in Yemen.
“I don’t think they are guilty of war crimes, I believe so. They are participating in the bombing of Yemeni people,” added Habtoor (seen below).
Meanwhile, the US canceled the transfer of some arms to Saudi Arabia, amid worldwide criticism about civilian deaths and destruction from the Saudi military aggression in Yemen.
At least 11,400 people have died as the result of the Saudi campaign in the kingdom’s impoverished neighbor since March 2015, according to the latest tally by a Yemeni monitoring group.
The offensive was launched to undermine the Ansarullah movement and reinstate Yemen’s former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
Last month, the Yemeni Houthi Ansarullah movement and its allies announced the forming of a new “national salvation” government, lead by Aden’s former governor Habtoor.